Our estimates predict 24/7 solar generation at around 2 cents a kilowatt hour. Actual production costs will include the sale price of distilled water, which varies widely by geographic area.
Current OTEC plants are limited to low performance levels due to the small temperature differential between surface and deep water. SEAOTEC can use surface water for cooling, and still retains a much higher temperature differential, allowing much greater performance.
Solucean’s flexible floating solar collectors do not require new processes or materials.
The fuel alone for a 10 KW diesel generator will consume more than twice the cost of a 10 KW SEAOTEC plant in 1 year of operation, and a 10 KW SEAOTEC plant will produce 1000 gallons of desalinated (distilled) water a day. Since the collectors can be compacted for shipping and inflated on site, this allows power and water production for disaster relief, as well as small to large scale production for islands, deserts near oceans, and developing world locations.
SEAOTEC produces all of the power it needs for 24/7 operation directly from the sun. An added bonus is the sunlight not harvested for power and water production is reflected back into space, resulting in a small amount of global cooling for every installed kilowatt produced. The displacement of fossil fuels for electricity production will provide the largest drop in greenhouse gasses of any currently available technology.
Maximum efficiency in terms of power out versus sunlight in is low, on the order of 10%. Efficiency on a kilowatt per dollar basis is higher (less costly) than current electricity generation.
Solucean’s solar collectors are 100% recyclable, and the power plant uses off the shelf components, also recyclable.
With 24/7 solar power production, no fossil fuel use, no emissions or toxic waste, and global cooling, Solucean expects the regulatory community to embrace SEAOTEC.
23% of solar radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere, 29% reflected back into space, 48% passes through the atmosphere and is absorbed by the surface. The ocean’s surface absorbs almost all of the incident sunlight, which is converted into heat.
SEAOTEC floats on the surface of a body of water, and uses the reflective capture of sunlight to produce electricity and hot water. If 100 Kilowatts of solar radiation strikes the flexible floating solar collectors, only about 65% of the energy is absorbed, with the other 35% reflected back into space. About 23% of this energy is absorbed by the atmosphere on its return path. If the SEAOTEC plant is 10% efficient, then for every 10KW of electricity produced, then 27KW of energy is dumped back into space, cooling the planet. SEAOTEC can be scaled from a 10 KW plant to a 100 MW plant with off the shelf energy generation equipment.